Every commercial building and business in the Borough must be inspected to ensure that all buildings abide by the Uniform Fire Codes of New Jersey. Some of the more common violations that are found by the Fire Prevention Bureau are:
- Blocked Fire Exits — All exit doors must be kept clear at all times.
- Exit Lights Not Illuminated — Exit lights must be lit at all times.
- Emergency Lights Not Working — These lights provide light to the occupants in case of emergency.
- Fire Extinguisher Maintenance — These must be maintained and tested yearly. The testing company will place a tag on each extinguisher showing when the last test date was.
- Fire Extinguishers Required — Each business should have at least one fire extinguisher that is a 2a 20bc. Please check with the Fire Prevention Bureau on how many are required.
- General House Cleaning — Do not let items that can easily catch on fire accumulate.
- Extension Cords — These are only permitted for use as a temporary power source, such as plugging in a drill. Extension cords are prohibited as a permanent means of a power source.
There are many more violations that can be cited. Please check with the Bureau if you have any questions.